Spring is a time for celebration - no doubt it’s one of the best times of year for individuals to enjoy a little bit of sunshine and warmth with their pets. However, your four-legged buddy may face many dangers during this season. As it is our duty to care for our dogs the best we can, New Pet Parent are on hand to present the three major risks to your furry friend this Spring. Spring Bulbs Much like your canine companion, you must be excited about playing in the grass or going on hikes in the sunshine! Spring is an excellent time to do so, however, some plants that bloom during this season can pose a significant risk to your pet. Several spring bulbs can be fatal, so you must avoid them at all costs, especially if your dog loves chewing or digging in gardens and parks. These plants include Daffodils, Tulips, Azaleas, Bluebells, Buttercups and more. Typical symptoms of upset after ingesting these plants include: ● An upset stomach ● Lethargy ● Irritation around the dog’s mouth ● Difficulty breathing. Please, if your dog ingests any of the above, contact your vet immediately for advice! Chocolate Everyone loves chocolate, and what a lovely treat it is after a hard days activity to just relax with your favourite chocolate bar, especially with some still left at home after Easter. As pet parents, most of us have a tendency is to share some of our food with our wonderfully loyal four legged buddies, how can you resist those “Puppy Eyes” peering up at you, seeking a piece of your favourite Chocolate bar. However, whilst chocolate sweets and chocolate bars are all delicious and fun, they can be a significant hazard to dogs, and can make them really ill. With chocolate bars and similar treats lie around your home all of the time and therefore it is of the utmost importance that you keep your dog safe and keep that chocolate out of your dogs reach at all times. You may be wondering why something so delicious is a threat to your pet? The answer is theobromine. This chemical can cause tremors, diarrhoea, vomiting, seizures, and death. Darker chocolate contains more theobromine and is, therefore, more poisonous. But even white chocolate can pose a potential risk to your dog. The fats in this type of chocolate can cause pancreatitis. Here are some tips to protect your dog: • Keep chocolate out of reach of your dog. • Beware of chocolate foil wrappers lying on the floor. Whilst these won’t give your dog chocolate poisoning, they can cause an obstruction in your dog’s gut that could require surgery. • This last one may sound obvious, but don’t give in to those big puppy eyes! You should never feed your dog any chocolate. Other Seasonal Foods This time of year we indulge in various sweet treats. Whilst our dogs will be curious about the food we are eating, for the sake of their health we must also avoid feeding them dried fruits. Present in many springtime snacks, including the delicious hot cross buns, raisins, currants and sultanas can cause fatal kidney failure. Symptoms of acute kidney failure include: • Vomiting • Lethargy • Lack of appetite • Increased thirst • Change in urination pattern (much less than normal) Acute renal failure can develop within 24 hr post poisoning and symptoms can develop within 5 days after your dog has ingested them. For this reason, it is important to keep an eye on your dog at all times and keep your favourite foods out of their reach. Above are some of the dangers to look out for and to protect your furry friend this Spring. Whilst prevention is always best, the curious nature of our pets means they may find their way into an easter egg or two; if this is the case you must seek veterinary attention right away. For any further information on keeping your dog safe and healthy, visit the New Pet Parent website today!